RSPCA urge pet owners to take care after March cat dies from antifreeze poisoning

14:47 10 March 2014

RSPCA

RSPCA

Archant

The RSPCA is asking pet owners to be cautious after a cat died from antifreeze poisoning last week.

The female tabby cat from the Station Road area in March was first found by her owner to be unwell on March 5.

It was rushed to the vets but died a few days later.

RSPCA animal welfare officer Kathy Hornig said: “We would like to ask everyone in the area to keep an eye on their cats’ wellbeing.

“Unfortunately cats don’t need a lot of antifreeze in their system to feel suffer from kidney failure and even death.

“At this stage we do not know if this is an accidental incident or deliberate but in the meantime we would ask for everyone in the area to check where they keep their anti-freeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats.”

Signs of antifreeze poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical, though it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.

The symptoms include vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures, difficulty breathing, increased thirst and increased urination.

If you suspect your cat has been poisoned you must take it to a vet immediately. If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk or the container.

Poisoning a cat deliberately is a criminal offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2006. The maximum penalty is up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £20,000.

If anyone has any information about suspected antifreeze poisonings they can contact the RSPCA in confidence on 0300 1234 999.

0 comments

More news stories

15:33

Armed Forces day in Wisbech was well supported on Sunday in Wisbech Market Place, with lots of organisations marking the day with respect, and with a great deal of voluntary effort that was lost on Wisbech Town Council.

11:33
Sean Brown retiring

A popular Fenland fire officer said farewell after 27 years with Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service.

Tony and Julie Norman

I was born and bred in the Wisbech area and spent the first 18 years on my life living in Friday Bridge - educated at Friday Bridge junior school- then on to the now re-badged Queen’s School for boys - after spending a couple of years in London - I have been living in Sydney Australia for the past 43 years.

09:33

I read your article with regards to Councillor Lisa Duffy working with the police in Wisbech and her views on immigration.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up