Mum’s plea to chief constable: Use advanced DNA techniques to help find Rikki’s killer

14:15 31 January 2014

Rikki Neave

Rikki Neave

Archant

In a letter to chief constable Simon Parr last December Ruth Neave said she was appealing to him since “though I was found not guilty of his murder it seems to me that you have failed in many respects”.

She claims that police never took notice of two young boys “who as good as admitted their involvement in his murder, even after a newspaper boy reported seeing them in that area.

There was also a report of a young boy being assaulted a few months earlier and in the same area “but this was neither investigated properly or the possible links to Rikki’s death considered”.

She also reminded Mr Parr that social services lost numerous files concerning her and her family’s background and these only came to light after Rikki’s death.

Ruth wants an explanation as she believes they are relevant to any inquiry into Rikki’s death.

After Rikki’s death, social services went into meltdown. Jobs were lost, files were mislaid or disappeared and even now, 20 years later, she believes within those files could be clues as to who did kill her son.

A decision to re-open the case was considered in 2005 but Ruth says she was never contacted even though her solicitor had been informed and it was only from talking to a friend she found out that inquiries were ongoing.

“Because of advances in DNA testing I want the pair of Rikki’s socks still in the hands of police to be checked with the national DNA database,” she said.

“Also with advances in obtaining fingerprints then the partial fingerprint can be lifted and checked against that same database. I was told it was not possible to do it but maybe today it is.

“All I ask is for justice for my son and answers to the questions I am asking.”

A police spokesman said: “We have examined the information passed to us. However, there is insufficient evidence to reopen the investigation.”

13:09
The ram raid at the Tesco Express in Taverham. Picture: Eastern Region Special Operations Unit.

Five men who stole more than £400,000 following a string of cash machine ram raids and burglaries in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire have been jailed for a total of 22 years.

13 minutes ago
Post Office is set to relocate to the Rose and Crown at Thorney

Thorney Post Office will be based in a new coffee shop opening at the Rose & Crown pub from March 19.

16 minutes ago
Carly, Effie and Paul Hadman.Picture: Steve Williams.

Thousands of stamps have poured in after a couple put out an appeal to help collect as many as possible to raise money to find a cure for their daughter’s rare genetic disease.

32 minutes ago
New Police Commisioner Sir Graham Bright, at South Cambs District Council offices, Cambourne

Police and Crime Commissioner Sir Graham Bright is publically supporting four bids into a £5 million fund to support victims of sexual abuse.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition today E-edition