MP Barclay backs plans for victims of asbestos exposure at work to get compensation

12:59 16 January 2014

Steve Barclay MP.

Steve Barclay MP.

Archant

MP Steve Barclay has called for former workers suffering from Mesothelioma, an asbestos-related condition, to receive compensation.

The North East Cambs MP is supporting a new Government scheme put before the House of Commons that will allow people suffering from the incurable cancer after asbestos exposure at work but been unable to get compensation because insurers, previous employers or key documents are not traceable to make claims.

Ministers approved plans this week to set up a fund which entitles sufferers to 75 per cent of a fixed sum set by the courts.

An amendment proposed by Conservative MP and Mesothelioma campaigner Tracey Crouch to increase the amount to 80 per cent was narrowly defeated in the House of Commons vote.

MP Barclay said : “It is good news that Mesothelioma victims who have been unable to get compensation will now be able to make claims under this new Government scheme.

“I very much welcome this important change to the law which provides 75 per cent of the claims that would be available if paperwork had not gone missing.

“I voted against the Government on two aspects of the bill as I believe the insurance industry should do more to compensate Mesothelioma sufferers by extending the right to claim to 80 per cent, but overall it is a great step forward.”

Mesothelioma cases have increased almost four-fold since the early 1980s.

Symptoms of the disease generally appear 20 to 30 years after exposure to asbestos.

0 comments

Saturday, January 31, 2015
Vehicle confiscated after hare coursing in March

Four men thought to be hare coursing illegally were caught by police today in March.

Friday, January 30, 2015
Wendreda House cannabis factory Day 3 (Photo: Kallum Ryan-Mueller

Police revealed today they believe the Fenland ‘Downton Abbey’ drugs mansion raided earlier this week was grossing over £400,000 every nine weeks.

Friday, January 30, 2015
Wisbech market square, One way system. Picture: Steve Williams.

A revised one-way system introduced in Wisbech yesterday (Thu) is causing mayhem, according to a shop owner who said CCTV spotted at least 50 vehicles travelling in the wrong direction.

Friday, January 30, 2015
Officers entering the house in Colvile Road, Wisbech, as part of Operation Pheasant.

Eleven cases of human trafficking, including five sham marriages, have been uncovered since the launch of an operation to tackle migrant exploitation in Fenland, a report has revealed.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition today E-edition