Motorists continue to defy mobile phone law as numbers caught in Cambridgeshire rise by 16 per cent

09:45 06 March 2014

Police launched a special month of operations to clamp down on mobile phone offences,

Police launched a special month of operations to clamp down on mobile phone offences,

Archant

The number of drivers in Cambridgeshire caught using their mobile phone rose 16 per cent last month compared to the same month in 2013.

Cambs Police revealed today that 321 drivers were caught last month compared to 282 in February of last year.

Sergeant Chris Huggins said: “Throughout February, traffic officers took part in the ‘Think’ road safety campaign to target mobile phone offences.

“A total of 321 drivers were caught and they will receive either points on their licence, a fine or may be dealt with through an education programme.”

He said the action last month was part of the Department for Transport’s Think! Campaign, to highlight the real problems we have on the roads.

“Driving while using a phone is part of the ‘fatal four’ driving offences, along with speeding, not wearing a seatbelt and drink or drug driving,” he said.

“It is disappointing people are still not taking notice of the advice we are giving and we will continue to enforce the law to ensure our county’s roads are safer.”

March’s ‘Think!’ campaign will focus on seatbelt offences.

One of the worst months last year for catching motorists using their mobile phones whilst driving was July when 448 drivers were caught.

0 comments

More news stories

13:04
Founder of Student Motorsport, John Paul Latham, and Theo Paphitis at the Small Business Sunday annual awards. PHOTO: John Paul Latham

A motorsport lecturer at the College of West Anglia has received a big boost after his business was recognised by star of the BBC’s Dragon’s Den, Theo Paphitis.

Yesterday, 15:19
The disused paddock at Wheatley Bank, Walsoken, that has been rejected by West Norfolk Council for a travellers' site. PHOTO: Submitted

A bid to turn a paddock at Walsoken into a travellers’ camp with 12 mobile homes and 12 caravans has been rejected after a nine month campaign – that included 47 letters of objection - to halt it.

12:35
Harrison and Murray and Nottingham Building Society raise funds in memory of Mikayla Clark.  Left to right: Neil and Alyson Clark look on as Sophie Baxter from EACH receives the cheque from Tracey Palmer, Nicola Roberts and Carrie-Anne Johnson. PHOTO: Harrison Murray

Staff at an estate agency and a building society teamed up to raise money for a four year old girl who died last year from a rare brain tumour.

11:47
Rachael Johnson and Amy Burger, Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeons, with the new machine

Women treated at the West Norfolk Breast Unit have extra help in beating breast cancer earlier thanks to an innovative new surgical x-ray machine.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter