More than half of those claiming highways defects caused accidents have their claims rejected by Cambridgeshire County Council

PUBLISHED: 13:57 24 April 2014 | UPDATED: 13:57 24 April 2014

Archant

More than half the 400 people who claimed against Cambridgeshire County Council for accidents allegedly caused by highway defects have had their claims refused.

A Freedom of Information request shows that 233 of the 400 claims made in the year from April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2013 were “repudiated”.

But the council says they have so far paid out £55,002 in that period for successful claims with 26 outstanding at the end of the period.

In all 141 claims were settled, reports the council.

More news stories

Armed robbers demanded customers and staff lie on the floor of a village shop yesterday before fleeing with £8,000 worth of stock and cash.

12:25

A mother of one from Littleport says seeing a devastating picture of herself in July 2015 encouraged her to take control and get help to lose weight.

Yesterday, 14:37

A car belonging to a Lithuanian family from Wisbech was set alight and another had its windows smashed and the word ‘Polish’ sprayed on the side in what police are treating as a “despicable” hate crime.

11:54

A dog charity is looking for volunteers to help train puppies to become the ears, and a best friend, for people with hearing difficulties.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter