March 7 2014 Latest news:
Friday, February 22, 2013
MARCH residents can expect to wait at least 10 years for a state of the art leisure centre.
Councillor Alan Melton, leader of Fenland District Council, denied plans for a new leisure centre in the town had been scrapped but said funding constraints meant it was unlikely to be built during this or next council.
Cllr Melton had outlined his vision last year for a sports centre, costing £15 to 20 million, with a pool and wave machines.
He said: “We are looking at building a state of the art leisure centre in March but this is a long term aspiration.
“It will not happen in this council and probably not in the next one. Our aim is to do it in 10 to 15 years.
“That is what I said at the start and I’ve made it quite clear. It would cost £15-20 million and we don’t have that kind of money.
“If you look at the Core Strategy for March you will see the town is set for significant growth and development.”
A £300,000 refurbishment of the George Campbell Leisure Centre, which would include new fitness equipment, improvements to the changing rooms and a possible small extension to be building, is likely to go ahead this year.
Cllr Melton said: “We have set aside £300,000 which is immediately available to improve the George Campbell Centre so it is up to the standard the people of March deserve.”