Jail for man who filmed himself raping a woman in Peterborough

PUBLISHED: 14:43 24 November 2017 | UPDATED: 14:43 24 November 2017

Vitalijus Buinovskis has been jailed for six years for filming himself raping a woman in Peterborough earlier this year.

Vitalijus Buinovskis has been jailed for six years for filming himself raping a woman in Peterborough earlier this year.

Archant

A man who filmed himself raping a woman in Cambridgeshire has been jailed for six years.

Vitalijus Buinovskis, 25, attended a small gathering in Ravensthorpe, Peterborough, on 22 July. In the early hours of the following day the victim, a woman in her 20s, fell asleep in the lounge.

At about 10am a third person at the property noticed Buinovskis’ phone ringing on the table in the lounge. When he picked it up, he noticed pictures of the victim and a video of Buinovskis raping her whilst she was asleep. The man attacked Buinovskis, who made off.

Buinovskis, of Rockingham Grove in Peterborough, was arrested later that day and charged with rape.

On 27 October he appeared at Peterborough Crown Court and pleaded guilty to the offence. He was sentenced today (24 November) at Cambridge Crown Court.

When sentencing Buinovskis, Judge Bridge said: “It is clear you exploited the position that you found yourself in and had sex with an unconscious woman who had absolutely no opportunity to resist. You also remarkably decided to film yourself doing so.

“The effect on this victim has been enormous. There is no doubt that I must pass a very substantial sentence given what you have done, to reflect the seriousness of this offence.”

Detective Constable Faye Patterson said: “This was a nasty incident, made all the more disturbing by the fact Buinovskis filmed what happened.

“I hope the conclusion of the court proceedings will help the victim to start rebuilding her life.

“Tackling sexual offences is a priority for the constabulary and we will do all we can to bring perpetrators to justice.”

More news stories

11:08

An investigation has been launched to determine the cause of yesterday’s industrial building blaze in Wisbech.

09:38

A car – being driven through a park in Wisbech while families enjoyed their weekend – has been seized this weekend (June 23).

10:20

An investigation has been launched following reports of a ram raid in Ramsey overnight.

Yesterday, 16:54

UK Power Network said they hope to get all homes in Wisbech affected by today’s fire back on by 10pm.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Wisbech Standard weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy