Inquiry launched after body left on ambulance station floor by paramedics who didn’t want to be late home

PUBLISHED: 00:11 15 October 2014 | UPDATED: 09:43 15 October 2014

Ely Ambulance Station

Ely Ambulance Station


An investigation is under way after the body of a 32 year-old man was left on the floor of an ambulance station for more than an hour because paramedics wanted to finish their shift on time.

Roads were closed as police investigated the death of Littleport man, James Harrison. Roads were closed as police investigated the death of Littleport man, James Harrison.

A whistle-blower working in the East of England Ambulance Service claimed that the body of James Harrison, 32, of Littleport, was left next to bins at Ely Ambulance Station, in Nutholt Lane, instead of being taken directly to a mortuary at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge.

The whistle-blower alleges that an ambulance crew from Downham Market responded to the call to collect Mr Harrison’s body from outside Littleport fire station but were about to finish a night shift and didn’t want to make the trip to Cambridge.

He said the crew “were then authorised” to leave the body in the garage area and return home; paramedics discovered the body on the floor, next to bins, more than an hour later when they arrived for work at the Ely outstation.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “An incident last month involving the transportation of a deceased patient is under investigation, and as such we cannot comment any further.”

The spokesman said that the family of the man would be contacted in the coming weeks, as the investigation was carried out.

The whistle-blower said: “Standard practice would be for paramedics to transport the body to the mortuary but, on the day, the body was left on the station floor next to the bins for more than hour, which raises issues of dignity and decency.

“I have never experienced anything like this is my career, it was totally wrong. When the day crew came in, about an hour later, they found the body there.

“I understand there have been statements taken but they [the ambulance service] haven’t done anything about it.”

In a separate incident, residents in Littleport have questioned why no cordon was placed immediately round the area where the body was found.

They have asked why the cordon – later extended- was only put in place some hours after the body had been removed.

“People were walking their dogs along that stretch of road before the police arrived back to put up a cordon,” said one. “It was a bit of a shambles.”

Police and forensic experts spent three days at the scene before a post mortem examination ruled there was no evidence of foul play. Cause of death is provisionally given as “unascertained” pending further tests

An inquest into Mr Harrison’s death has now been opened and adjourned by William Morris, senior coroner for North and East Cambridgeshire.

The cause of death was listed as “unascertained pending further tests”.

The inquest was adjourned and will re-open again on January 14.


  • Our MP heard about this yesterday, it's why TV vans were near Love Lane

    Report this comment

    David Gutteridge

    Friday, October 17, 2014

  • two things 1 to polly money has noting to do with this . and nhs staff should not get payed less then bin men which are payed twice as much. 2 this should not happen and the people should be subpoenaed and ask would you leave your grandparents like that

    Report this comment

    Alban Clare

    Friday, October 17, 2014

  • These are the people who were on strike this week for more money. This just demonstrates what their priorities are.

    Report this comment


    Friday, October 17, 2014

  • What sort of society are we living in, for this to happen? Profit driven, corporate greed corruption, on a scale never seen before: bleeding the people dry. Literally. To be put out with the rubbish. All a human life is worth. But that's ok, because we 're 'all in it together'. Aren't we just.

    Report this comment

    Mhara Costello

    Friday, October 17, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

More news stories

A father is offering a reward after his son’s car was torched outside the family home on Saturday.


MSB Contracting says that on Saturday (October 21) thieves who broke into their Guyhirn premises and made off with valuable equipment.

Police in Wisbech seized their latest vehicle for being on the road with no insurance.

A Dutch initiative that won a Defra award last year for making Carlisle more resilient to flooding is to help Wisbech prepare for its ambitious 12,000 extra homes garden town proposals.

Most read stories

Most commented stories


Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter