House in Wisbech remains sealed off and guarded by police a week after hunt for missing man switched to this quiet part of town

14:05 13 January 2016

56 Cannon Street Wisbech. Picture: Steve Williams.

56 Cannon Street Wisbech. Picture: Steve Williams.

Archant

A Wisbech house remains sealed off – and a police car remains outside- a week after it became the focus of a murder inquiry.

Ricardas Puisys missing Wisbech manRicardas Puisys missing Wisbech man

Police turned up at the house in Cannon Street last Thursday and have been there since.

A police spokesman said: “This is part of investigations into missing Ricardos Puisys. There is no further update at this time”

One neighbour said on Facebook that police turned up at 4pm last Thursday “and they still there now.

“The scientific support unit was there for a day but there is only one police car now; people have asked but they will not say what has happened.”

56 Cannon Street Wisbech. Picture: Steve Williams.56 Cannon Street Wisbech. Picture: Steve Williams.

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Mr Puisys are continuing their investigations after arresting a 31-year-old on suspicion of his murder.

Mr Puisys, 35, who is from Lithuania, was last seen at his workplace on September 26. Officers had been unable to trace his whereabouts despite launching a public appeal last month.

The arrested man was released on police bail and is due to return to Thorpe Wood Police Station in Peterborough on March 2.

Mr Puisys, 35, worked at Nightlayer Leek Company a fruit and vegetable wholesaler based in Chatteris. Colleagues and friends have not seen or heard from him since his last shift there.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the police Major Crime Unit on 101.

Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or by using the online crime reporting system www.crimestoppers-uk.org.

Det Chief Insp Martin Brunning, from Cambridgeshire Police, said after his disappearance that whilst he remained hopeful of finding Mr Puisys alive, “due to the length of time he has been missing, coupled with the unexpected nature of his disappearance, we are now treating his disappearance as suspicious”.

Police have also appealed to speak to speak to those people from the Lithuanian community who would have worked with Mr Ricardas at the Nightlayer Leek Company.

Det Chief Insp Brunning said: “I need to learn as much as I can about his lifestyle in Wisbech and also the people he would have spent time with, either through work or socially.”

More news stories

Fenland Big Weekender

Ten young entrepreneurs – between the ages of 14 and 19- are being offered the chance to make a name for themselves …..with a £10 note.

16:20
Natalia Price speaking at the RCOG World Conference with Kath's Daily Mail article on the screen in the background

The doctor who performed corrective surgery for campaigning journalist Kath Sansom when a mesh bladder sling caused severe pain and complications used her story at a conference attended by 2,000 medical specialists from around the world.

Yesterday, 17:05
Mick George Quarry Block Fen Mepal. Picture: Steve Williams.

A forensic genetics expert says trying to establish the identity of the severed head found at Mepal quarry will be extremely difficult if police have no leads to go on.

Yesterday, 15:05
Seth Dixon, 7, was knocked over and killed by Amy Asker in 2014

A motorist who knocked down and killed a seven-year-old boy while talking on her mobile phone was fined just £90 and given five points on her driving licence.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up