Further jail sentence for ‘serial sex abuser’ from West Norfolk

12:22 03 April 2014

John Slater, who has been jailed for sex offences

John Slater, who has been jailed for sex offences


A former West Norfolk man, who has been serving an eight-and-a-half year sentence for sex offences against a young girl, has been jailed for a further 14-and-a-half years at Norwich Crown Court.

John Slater, 73, who was described as a “serial sexual abuser” was convicted of nine sex offences involving four young girls and a boy, following a trial. He had denied all the offences. Slater who was said to be of high risk of offending, was also placed on the sex offender’s register for life and the court heard that in view of his age he might end his days behind bars.

During the trial, the jury heard how Slater had moved from Terrington St Clement to Spain in 2004, but was convicted in November 2011 of sex abuse on a young girl and was jailed for eight-and-a-half years.

He served some of his sentence in Spain, but moved back to this country to serve the rest.

The jury heard how allegations were first made against Slater in 2004, but at that time it was not proceeded with and Slater was living in Spain then. However, he was finally brought to justice when further complaints were made against him and he was charged in May, last year.

Andrew Shaw, prosecuting, said: “He is a man who, over a decade, has serially sexually abused children.”

The court was also told he had a previous conviction for having sex with a 12-year-old girl in 1974.

Jailing Slater, Judge Stephen Holt told him that in some cases he had groomed the victims by giving them alcohol and showing them pornographic films before he sexually abused them. He said his victims were all very young, with one girl aged about three to four years old, when the abuse took place. The eldest was about seven to eight years old.

“It is quite clear your behaviour has devastated their lives and had a deep effect on them.”

He said: “You are 73 now and will not be released until you are over 80. By that stage any risk you present to the public will be managed.”

Hugh Mullan, for Slater, said he suffered from ill health.

“He is 74 in three months’ time and the nature of the sentence will mean he will be in his 80s by the time he is released. It may mean he spends the rest of his days in prison.”

After the case Det Con Elaine Goodall said: “The victims have had to wait a long time for this to come to court, while the Spanish process concluded. They, and the witnesses, have been very brave giving evidence during the trial and we are pleased the case has resulted in this sentence.”

Do you have a crime story? Email peter.walsh@archant.co.uk

More news stories

Yesterday, 14:18
A Magpas air ambulance leaving Wisbech today after a man went into cardiac arrest after being stung by a wasp.

The A47 between Wisbech and Guyhirn was closed this afternoon after a motorist, who is now in a critical condition, was stung by a wasp and went into cardiac arrest, police have said.

Yesterday, 11:04
Disqualified drink driver is arrested in Wisbech

A disqualified drink driver was three times over the legal limit when he was stopped by police at 6.19am today (Wednesday 25).

Yesterday, 16:46
Fangtasia Reptile Emporium which has been left empty after its owner packed up and left.

Pet owners in Wisbech have been left out of pocket after the owner of a local specialist pet shop cleared out his store and left – after taking deposits for goods from customers.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition