Fire crews called after electrical heater causes blaze in Wisbech shop

17:15 04 January 2016

Fire crews were called to a shop in Market Place, Wisbech, this morning after an electrical heater caused a fire.

Fire crews were called to a shop in Market Place, Wisbech, this morning after an electrical heater caused a fire.

Archant

Crews from Wisbech and March were called after an electrical heater caused a blaze in a Wisbech shop.

Fire crews arrived after receiving calls that a fire had broken out in the back office area of a retail shop in Market Place this morning (January 4). The property had been safely evacuated.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a CO2 extinguisher to put the remains of the smouldering fire, which involved an electrical heater, out and returned to station by 11.15am.

The cause of the fire was deemed to be accidental, by electrical.

Watch Commander John Chelton said: “Although the staff attempted to put the fire out using an extinguisher, unfortunately the door to the room where the fire started was left open afterwards and this resulted in smoke logging to a majority of the property. We used positive pressure ventilation fans to clear as much of the smoke as possible and luckily the fire damage was contained to the room where the fire started.

“It is important that staff working in any business premises know what to do if there is a fire in their workplace. If you need to find out more about staying safe in the workplace, you can attend a free business fire safety workshop,” he added.

For more information, log on to: http://www.cambsfire.gov.uk/firesafety/workshops-for-businesses.php

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Wisbech Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Wisbech Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Wisbech Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

10:31
Motorcyclist hospitalised after crash on A47 close to Elm Hall roundabout

A man was hospitalised last night after a crash on the A47 close to Elm Hall roundabout.

14:08
Both cars were written off following this A10 crash near Stretham

A Wimblington businessman has urged roadside verges to be kept cut back after he was involved in a serious collision because he said he could not see an oncoming car due to six feet high grass.

12:53
Bell Inn at Murrow

A new lunch club starts in Murrow aimed at linking up older people in the community.

10:22
Padnal Bank. Road blocked due to RTC.

A man says he is “fearful” for his life and has lost count of the amount of crashes between Padnal Road and Branch Bank outside his Littleport home – especially after seeing another collision last night.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up