Fire crews called after electrical heater causes blaze in Wisbech shop

PUBLISHED: 17:15 04 January 2016 | UPDATED: 17:15 04 January 2016

Fire crews were called to a shop in Market Place, Wisbech, this morning after an electrical heater caused a fire.

Fire crews were called to a shop in Market Place, Wisbech, this morning after an electrical heater caused a fire.

Archant

Crews from Wisbech and March were called after an electrical heater caused a blaze in a Wisbech shop.

Fire crews arrived after receiving calls that a fire had broken out in the back office area of a retail shop in Market Place this morning (January 4). The property had been safely evacuated.

Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a CO2 extinguisher to put the remains of the smouldering fire, which involved an electrical heater, out and returned to station by 11.15am.

The cause of the fire was deemed to be accidental, by electrical.

Watch Commander John Chelton said: “Although the staff attempted to put the fire out using an extinguisher, unfortunately the door to the room where the fire started was left open afterwards and this resulted in smoke logging to a majority of the property. We used positive pressure ventilation fans to clear as much of the smoke as possible and luckily the fire damage was contained to the room where the fire started.

“It is important that staff working in any business premises know what to do if there is a fire in their workplace. If you need to find out more about staying safe in the workplace, you can attend a free business fire safety workshop,” he added.

For more information, log on to: http://www.cambsfire.gov.uk/firesafety/workshops-for-businesses.php

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Wisbech Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Wisbech Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Wisbech Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Friday, May 26, 2017

The UK’s Premier Picnic Concert Series Celebrates their 20th Anniversary Year, and we Have 3 Pairs of Tickets to Give Away!

Friday, May 26, 2017

A drink driver, who was four times over the limit when he caused a collision that killed a man, has been jailed for more than six years.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Manea pervert photographer Brian Claassen, has been jailed for sexually assaulting a four year old girl and having indecent images of children on his computer in his studio in Swindon.

Friday, May 26, 2017

The Fenland Association for Community Transport (FACT) has launched a new service in Wisbech – despite ongoing investigations over concerns that the group may have compromised decisions involving public money.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter