Join the Red Bag scheme to keep elderly people safe in an emergency

PUBLISHED: 16:46 24 October 2017

Senior project manager AJ Weir is encouraging more care homes in Fenland and Lincolnshire to sign up to the Red Bag scheme PHOTO: Victoria Fear

Senior project manager AJ Weir is encouraging more care homes in Fenland and Lincolnshire to sign up to the Red Bag scheme PHOTO: Victoria Fear

Archant

Care homes in Fenland are being encouraged to join a scheme which ensures people know the medical history of elderly patients in case of an emergency.

The Red Bag scheme was introduced by The Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn earlier this year to make sure emergency clinicians have a full medical history and medications for seriously unwell older patients who are rushed to the A&E department.

A total of 26 care homes have already signed up to the scheme but the hospital is hoping to attract others to take part.

Pamela Chapman, frailty matron, said: “The Red Bags are helping us to provide a holistic package of care for seriously ill people the moment they arrive through the hospital’s front door to discharge.

“I believe this scheme is helping with initial clinical assessments along with ensuring that patients have a continuing good experience while at The QEH.

“We would like to encourage more homes to take up the Red Bag scheme.”

Lyncroft Care Home in Wisbech uses the Red Bags.

Jan Davison, home manager, said: “We wanted to be involved with the Red Bag Scheme to help our residents who do not have capacity.

“Our teams have a really good system going to ensure the bags are packed accordingly with all the items the resident needs along with the detailed documentation.

“I would recommend the Red Bags to other care home as it ensures that hospital has all the right information about that individual.”

More news stories

11:08

An investigation has been launched to determine the cause of yesterday’s industrial building blaze in Wisbech.

09:38

A car – being driven through a park in Wisbech while families enjoyed their weekend – has been seized this weekend (June 23).

Yesterday, 16:54

UK Power Network said they hope to get all homes in Wisbech affected by today’s fire back on by 10pm.

Yesterday, 14:01

An investigation has been launched after a suspected acid attack in Wisbech – the victim did not sustain serious injuries.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Wisbech Standard weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy