Farmer’s legal claim against Fenland Council for demolishing piggery is struck out by judge

16:38 13 January 2014

Richard Fulcher.

Richard Fulcher.

Archant

A farmer’s legal claim against Fenland District Council has been struck out by a judge.

Richard (Leonard) Fulcher’s claim for £270,075 was lodged in relation to enforcement action that took place in August 2006.

Mr Fulcher claims the council acted illegally in burning down a building at Foul Anchor, near Wisbech, which housed pigs.

The council had alleged, in 2006, that the structure was in fact a house under construction and enforcement threats were followed by the council razing it to the ground.

Mr Fulcher has always insisted the council acted illegally.

However, a council spokesman said this week: “It was struck out at Norwich County Court on Tuesday, January 7.”

The council says it was awarded £18,689.16, including interest to date, for the cost of the direct action.

“The court also awarded Fenland its legal costs,” said the spokesman.

“There is currently an injunction in place which prevents Mr Fulcher (whether by himself or by instructing or encouraging any other person) from pursuing any conduct which amounts to harassment of the councillors of Fenland District Council, whether in his own name or through his business The Middleton Private Trust.

“It also prevents him from corresponding by any means with the councillors of Fenland District Council, whether in his own name or through his business The Middleton Private Trust.”

Mr Fulcher says he will continue to challenge this ruling and other recent court actions, relying on a judgement from a year ago, which awarded him damages.

He has since continued to challenge councillors and officers, threatening them collectively and individually with legal action.

Since the injunction councillors have received further letters from Mr Fulcher and have forwarded them to Fenland Hall. It is not clear whether they breach the terms of the injunction.

Council leader Alan Melton said the authority’s latest statement about Mr Fulcher had been issued after taking advice from both external solicitors and the council’s own insurers.

0 comments

More news stories

Yesterday, 16:51
Tory candidate for police commissioner Jason Ablewhite responds to questions at a hustings event in Wisbech. On his left is Nick Clarke, the UKIP candidate

Tory candidate Jason Ablewhite last night described critics attacking him over comments he posted on his Facebook page six years ago as being “desperate to muck rack”.

Yesterday, 13:00
Marvel and DC comic art exhibition

If you’re looking for a variety of events with something for everyone, then The Brinks Festival in Wisbech is for you.

Yesterday, 16:29
The photo shows (left to right): Steve Fisher and John Anker pictured out the front of the Bulley Davey office on The Crescent, Wisbech.

Two local accountants are celebrating 40 years at the Wisbech office of accountants firm Bulley Davey.

Yesterday, 15:01
Company owner Sheena Hartley with skippe Mike Kelly

Upwell-based Narrow Waters Luxury Cruises is celebrating after being a finalist in the eleventh annual Countryside Alliance Awards, nicknamed the Rural Oscars.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up