Inquiry will rule on perjury claims made against Cambridgeshire police officer following suicide of Fulbourn patient who went missing

PUBLISHED: 15:20 29 August 2018 | UPDATED: 15:20 29 August 2018

Fulbourn Hospital: a 23 year old patient went missing, was later found dead in Sussex and a suicide verdict recorded. The case re-opened with a police officer under investigation for perjury.

Fulbourn Hospital: a 23 year old patient went missing, was later found dead in Sussex and a suicide verdict recorded. The case re-opened with a police officer under investigation for perjury.

Copyright 2005

A Cambridgeshire police officer may have committed perjury during an internal inquiry into the death of a man who had been patient at Fulbourn hospital, a complaints panel has decided.

The perjury suspicion is being investigated by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) that will consider all the actions taken by Cambridgeshire Constabulary after a sectioned patient was reported missing from the hospital on November 16, 2015.

William Stilwell, 23, was suffering from a severe form of obsessive compulsive disorder. His body was found later that evening by Sussex Police.

In September 2017 an inquest jury concluded his death was by suicide.

Following a complaint by Mr Stilwell’s parents regarding Cambridgeshire Constabulary’s actions on November 16, 2015 and the conduct of an officer during the inquest in September 2017, IOPC launched an independent investigation.

IOPC regional director Sarah Green said: “Our investigation is examining allegations that the police constable failed to take appropriate action when Mr Stilwell was reported missing and Cambridgeshire Constabulary control room staff failed to act promptly on receipt of emergency information. “We are also looking at allegations the police constable gave a dishonest account under oath at inquest.”

She said: “At this stage, the police constable has been advised he is under criminal investigation on suspicion of perjury in relation to his evidence at the inquest, as well as being investigated for potential breaches of the police standards of professional behaviour regarding his actions on November 16, 2015.

‘We are examining the original missing person investigation carried out by Cambridgeshire Constabulary in November 2015 and information provided by a police constable during Mr Stilwell’s inquest two years later.”

She added: “These are serious allegations which are now subject to a thorough and independent investigation.

“We have met Mr Stilwell’s family and will provide them, the officer involved and those affected by these allegations with regular updates as the investigation progresses

More news stories

17:25

A man who stabbed his friend in the neck with a garden tool in a dispute over his friend’s partner has been jailed for nearly six years.

The sauna at the Hudson centre at Wisbech will close on December 1 – just days before Fenland Council transfer the running of its leisure outlets to a private company.

MP Steve Barclay warned today that a key part of his new job as Brexit Secretary will to prepare the country for all scenarios including “deal or no deal”.

Council leader Steve Count is planning a “gesture of unity” by handing back part of his allowance in support of the 1,800 county council staff forced to take unpaid leave this Christmas as part of cost saving measures.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Wisbech Standard weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy