New trial called for in case of March man accused of 12 child sexual abuse offences

PUBLISHED: 16:47 06 October 2017 | UPDATED: 16:47 06 October 2017

Trial of a 78 year old March man is re listed at Chelmsford Crown Court.

Trial of a 78 year old March man is re listed at Chelmsford Crown Court.

Archant

A jury was discharged today after failing to reach a decision in the case of a March man facing 12 child sex offences.

Judge Christopher Morgan at Chelmsford Crown Court dismissed the jury – who had deliberated for three days- and ordered a new trial to begin on October 17.

Allan Hammond, 78, of Steeple View, March, denied all 12 charges against him, seven of which are indecent assaults against a child.

For some of the offences, the victim is said to have been as young as eight or nine-years-old.

The jury had been told the offences allegedly spanned several decades.

While the charges concerning the female victims are said to have taken place in the 1960s and 1970s, the alleged assault on the male happened between April 29, 1990, and April 28, 1991.

In interviews with the police, Hammond denied all allegations.

Hammond previously lived in Essex and the allegations contained in the charges related to crimes allegedly carried out in Saffron Walden, Colchester, Enfield, Chigwell and Chingford.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Wisbech Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Wisbech Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Wisbech Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 12:09

A March GP and his wife who run a medical relief charity have been kidnapped in Nigeria.

Yesterday, 10:04

Recovery work is under way today after a 44 tonne lorry veered into a West Norfolk river.

Yesterday, 07:41

Gamblers in the four market towns in Fenland lose on average £7,000 a day to fixed-odds betting terminals (FOBTs) says a campaign group for fairer gambling.

Fri, 19:35

The driver of a lorry that left the road and crashed into the Well Creek river at Outwell near Wisbech, had a miraculous escape.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter