Burglar jailed just days after breaking into Wisbech home

PUBLISHED: 09:39 29 January 2013 | UPDATED: 09:40 29 January 2013

Liam Clarke

Liam Clarke

Archant

A BURGLAR who broke into a Wisbech home while his victims were asleep has been jailed for three years.

Liam Clarke, 33, was arrested on Sunday, January 20, in connection with a burglary at a property in Cox Close earlier that day.

CCTV at the property showed Clarke pushing open a rear door to get in. Once inside he stole a PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, console games, alcohol and tobacco.

After the burglary was reported, a local officer attended and identified Clarke from the CCTV and within an hour and a half he was arrested.

Checks later showed he had sold the stolen property at a second hand shop. Records and CCTV from the shop confirmed it was Clarke.

Clarke, of Ellerby Drive, Wisbech, pleaded guilty to burglary at Cambridge Crown Court yesterday (January 28). He was sentenced to three years with an additional six months for breaching a previous suspended sentence for handling stolen goods.

DC Tim Towell said: “This is a fantastic result and proves how seriously we take burglary.

“This was a particularly unpleasant experience for the victims, who were asleep in the property at the time, and I hope this result will provide them with some reassurance that justice has been served.

“Thanks to their CCTV and the swift actions of local officers, Clarke was quickly caught and eight days on is now serving time behind bars.”

0 comments

More news stories

41 minutes ago

A Wisbech man has been sent for trial after denying the murder of a 35-year-old man from West Walton.

The agent trying to secure consent for a £210,000 five bedroom house to be turned into a nine bedroom room house in multiple occupation (HMO) told Fenland planners he fails to see why potential noise is an issue.

Two houses not built in accordance with the plans approved by Fenland Council can stay after officials concluded they will “not adversely harm the character and appearance of the area”.

Entertainment agency boss Jason Wright has promised to refund all those who paid £20 a head to see spiritualist Derek Acorah who pulled out of his Wisbech St Mary show at the last moment.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter