Bridge closure “unnecessary” says councillor but county insist contractors are there but underneath it and therefore not visible

17:13 14 March 2014

Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.

Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.

Archant

A councillor says motorists are facing unnecessary traffic chaos in Wisbech after the town bridge was closed despite no work being done.

Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.

The county council, however, say contractors are busy on site, but they are underneath the bridge which is why people think nothing is going on.

Fenland District Councillor Dave Patrick said two skips and a work cabin was set up along with road blocks on the Old Town Bridge almost two weeks ago.

Since then however, he has not seen any work carried out.

“An unnecessary burden is being put on the motorists in Wisbech by the unnecessary closure of the bridge,” said Mr Patrick.

Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.

“If work is being done then fine but if not then why on earth has it been closed off.

“At peak times it is a nightmare driving round town.”

A county council spokesman said the 10-week project had seen work carried out by contractor Breheny from Mondays to Fridays within suitable times.

Work cannot be carried out during high tides and not at weekends to prevent noise nuisance to two hotels and local residents, he said.

Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.

“We checked and yes work has been carried out - but people cannot see it as they are underneath the bridge,” a spokesman said.

The work is the fourth phase of helping protect Wisbech from flooding and is part of a £350,000 project.

The work is designed to maintain the retaining wall flood defence on South Brink, Nene Quay.

At the same time the County Council is taking the opportunity to complete bridge repairs on the Town Bridge, carry out local highway improvements and road resurfacing.

To enable work to be completed as quickly as possible, the Town Bridge will be closed to traffic and pedestrians for 10 weeks from March 3. Signed diversions for walkers and drivers will be in place.

Tell us what you think. Email the editor john.elworthy@archant.co.uk.

5 comments

  • Mr Patrick is thinking very logically, there have been days when no workers have been present, this is disgusting organisation yet again, 10 weeks of inconvenience to carry out what could be a few days work.

    Report this comment

    Wisbech

    Saturday, March 15, 2014

  • As Mr Patrick, ever thought, before speaking?

    Report this comment

    David Edwards

    Saturday, March 15, 2014

  • I can't recall ever seeing a bridge anywhere being totally closed for 10 weeks just to carry out a few repairs. Seems to me the council have taken the easy option (for them, NOT the local road users!) by closing the road - probably the Elf 'n' Safety brigade at work again, just in case someone trips over a screwdriver. Looks like it's been closed as it's a convenient place to leave a couple of skips rather than because any work is taking place!

    Report this comment

    Citizen of EUSSR

    Sunday, March 16, 2014

  • Abosolutely no reason to close the bridge while the work is being carried out underneath the bridge. I have no doubt that other bridges have had work carried on underneath them while traffic continues to them.

    Report this comment

    Susan patrick

    Saturday, March 15, 2014

  • Maybe it's to stop the Romans from invading, or Mercians! Lol

    Report this comment

    Mary-Anne Tree

    Friday, March 14, 2014

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

More news stories

48 minutes ago
FACET students meete Warwick Davis at POSH

Students got a welcome surprise when they enjoyed a VIP trip to Peterborough United football ground and met British film star Warwick Davis.

Saturday, April 30, 2016
Tory candidate for police commissioner Jason Ablewhite responds to questions at a hustings event in Wisbech. On his left is Nick Clarke, the UKIP candidate

Tory candidate Jason Ablewhite last night described critics attacking him over comments he posted on his Facebook page six years ago as being “desperate to muck rack”.

Yesterday, 11:54
Rev Jenny Webb

Love every neighbour is the theme of events for this year’s Christian Aid week being organised by Churches Together in March.

Saturday, April 30, 2016
Operation Edison, Cambridgeshire Police conduct the last of 4 warrants searching for drugs., 
Ely, Littleport, 
29/04/2016
Picture by Terry Harris.

Yet more arrests were made in Littleport as the curtain came down on East Cambridgeshire Police’s latest operation in their crackdown on drug related crime - Operation Edison.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up