BREAKING NEWS: Dawn arrest in Buckinghamshire of man suspected of being involved in illegal March, Cambs, rave

PUBLISHED: 10:34 15 January 2013 | UPDATED: 10:34 15 January 2013

Social media images of the rave at Thorby Avenue, March

Social media images of the rave at Thorby Avenue, March

Archant

A TEAM of detectives from Cambridgeshire swooped on an address in Buckinghamshire early today to make the first arrest following the illegal rave in March on New Year’s Eve.

A police spokesman confirmed that CID officers arrested a 26 year-old man in Aylesbury.

He has been brought back to Huntingdon Police Station where he is now being questioned.

The spokesman confirmed he had been arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and burglary.

The arrest comes just days after police launched Operation Silwood in the light of the rave at an empty factory in Thorby Avenue, March. Damage is estimated at £50,000. Over 1,000 revellers attended.

Home Secretary Theresa May met NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay last week to discuss police response to the rave.

The Home Secretary later called for a concerted effort to identify and prosecute those responsible.

Mrs May said: “This event showed a blatant disregard for the owners of this property who were left to pick up the pieces. It’s essential that those responsible are brought to justice.

“I know the police will do everything they can to bring their investigation to a successful conclusion and welcome the fact they have made it a priority to apprehend the organisers.”

Mr Barclay visited the factory after the event and obtained photos showing the rave in full swing.

He said: “I think the Home Secretary’s comments show how serious this is.

“We need to nip this in the bud before someone else’s property is targeted.”

Det Insp Dave Murphy, ¬Fenland crime manager, said his team had spent a considerable amount of time liaising with factory owner John Finn, whose premises were broken into for the rave.

Det Sgt Matt Swash had earlier confirmed that police attended but did not intervene to try to stop the rave.

“We have to be careful and risk-assess every incident,” he said.

He said that “sending police officers into that event at that time would have caused safety issues and possible harm to persons present”.

2 comments

  • Had anyone else noticed the rising figure of ravers? Started with 500 now it's over 1000.

    Report this comment

    grat

    Tuesday, January 15, 2013

  • Had anyone else noticed the rising figure of ravers? Started with 500 now it's over 1000.

    Report this comment

    grat

    Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

More news stories

Yesterday, 17:31

The RSPCA is appealing for information to find the people responsible for dumping two poorly foals in a muddy field just hours from death.

Yesterday, 15:11

The Wisbech General Cemetery has received a massive cash boost from the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Yesterday, 11:21

The family of a popular man from Elm has donated more than £1,000 to thank doctors and nurses at two hospitals.

Yesterday, 00:03

Ten years after an enforcement team set fire to John Gawthorp’s illegal ‘stable home’ at Bedlam Bridge, March, the site has acquired new owners who this time want to turn it into an aquaponics centre.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter