Botched attempt to clear bee nest from top of chimney causes fire in Manea

11:35 19 May 2014

Archant

Firefighters battled for more than four hours to tackle a chimney fire on Sunday after a home owner’s attempt to clear a bee nest from the top of her chimney went wrong.

One crew from Chatteris was called to a chimney fire in High Street, Manea, at 11.20am.

A bee nest had been at the top of a chimney and the owner had started to light a fire to clear it, but caused a chimney fire.

A fire service spokesman said: “Waxy conditions in the chimney, owing to the bee nest, made it very difficult for crews to extinguish it. A turntable ladder from Cambridge was called to assist the operation.

“Firefighters extinguished the fire and returned to their stations by 4pm.”

Station commander Richard Dykes said: “If homeowners discover a bee or wasp nest in their chimney or at the top of it, we would urge them to get it inspected and removed by a professional.

“Lighting fires is not an effective way to clear these nests and we would encourage people not to do this.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Wisbech Standard visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Wisbech Standard staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Wisbech Standard account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

14:54
Pride in our Carers Cambridgeshire - winners 2016

Carers could be in the running for a prestigious award with an event that last year saw a Wisbech teenager win the title.

13:04
Founder of Student Motorsport, John Paul Latham, and Theo Paphitis at the Small Business Sunday annual awards. PHOTO: John Paul Latham

A motorsport lecturer at the College of West Anglia has received a big boost after his business was recognised by star of the BBC’s Dragon’s Den, Theo Paphitis.

Yesterday, 15:19
The disused paddock at Wheatley Bank, Walsoken, that has been rejected by West Norfolk Council for a travellers' site. PHOTO: Submitted

A bid to turn a paddock at Walsoken into a travellers’ camp with 12 mobile homes and 12 caravans has been rejected after a nine month campaign – that included 47 letters of objection - to halt it.

12:35
Harrison and Murray and Nottingham Building Society raise funds in memory of Mikayla Clark.  Left to right: Neil and Alyson Clark look on as Sophie Baxter from EACH receives the cheque from Tracey Palmer, Nicola Roberts and Carrie-Anne Johnson. PHOTO: Harrison Murray

Staff at an estate agency and a building society teamed up to raise money for a four year old girl who died last year from a rare brain tumour.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter