Angry drivers hit out at condition of road where Soham motorist died in weekend collision with a lorry

11:53 06 May 2014

Temporary speed restriction near to scene of fatal collision, Ely

Temporary speed restriction near to scene of fatal collision, Ely

Archant

Angry drivers have begun contacting the Ely Standard to complain about the condition of a road where a motorist was killed on Saturday.

Ely fatalityEly fatality

A temporary 40mph was imposed on the stretch of road soon after Maxine Freeman, 37, of Guntons Close, Soham, died there on Saturday. Her car had been involved in a collision with a lorry.

The collision happened at about 10.45am in Queen Adelaide Way, about one-and-a-half miles from the junction with the A142 and involved a blue Citroen Xsara and a lorry

The vehicles involved were a DAF lorry and a blue Citroen travelling in the opposite direction. The driver of the lorry, a 32-year-old man from Soham, was not hurt.

Police are investigating and would like to speak to anyone who saw the crash or either vehicle involved just prior.

Scene of Ely fatality todayScene of Ely fatality today

Anyone with information should contact PC James Thorpe, at the roads policing unit, on 101.

Sandra Banks said: “We often travel this road, yesterday being the most recent. It is in an appalling condition and I too am amazed that there have not been more accidents. I am so sorry for the families involved with this tragic accident.

“Now, a speed limit has been put on this road, it’s a bit late isn’t it?”

Steph Gordon said: “I drive down this road every day and I am so sad to hear someone has lost their life. The road surface is awful, completely dangerous.

“How there haven’t been more accidents along that road amazes me.”

Allison Trense said: “The road condition is horrendous, and is visible for all to see. It leaves me dumbfounded that people still feel the need to over take, endangering the lives of just not themselves but those who they are over taking and the on coming traffic.”

More news stories

15:43
Maxey auction team

The new National Living Wage has dealt a hammer blow to a Wisbech auction house which is blaming the compulsory pay rise for a decision to close this autumn.

MP Steve Barclay with a letter from Eric Pickles last year that offered encouragement for the rail lik

Re-opening of the Wisbech to March rail line could cost from £70million to £110million says a new report out today which strengthens the case for the project.

Sainsbury's

Sainsbury’s bid to open a store in Whittlesey looked increasingly fragile tonight after their late efforts to overturn “onerous” planning conditions were rejected by Fenland District Council.

Rural crime still an issue in Cambridgeshire

Fuel, tractors, machinery and trailers top the thieves ‘wish list’ in Cambridgeshire despite rural crime dropping last year.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition today E-edition