A47 Guyhirn shooting: Five charges of attempted murder dropped by CPS

PUBLISHED: 14:34 19 June 2012

A47 closure at Wisbech.

A47 closure at Wisbech.

Archant

THE Crown Prosecution Service has dropped all five charges of attempted murder facing Parson Drove man Joseph Upton, who had been accused of being involved in a shooting incident on the A47.

Upton, 38, denied all charges when he appeared in court back in March, and had been due to face trial at Southwark Crown Court this week.

The charges were the result of a car crash, and reports of “gunfire” that left one man with minor injuries.

The alleged incident happened in the early hours of November 19 last year, when a car went into a ditch between Wisbech and Guyhirn, and flipped over on to its roof. Police were called to the scene, and later confirmed that a firearm had been involved.

Fenland’s busiest road was closed for more than 10 hours while forensic officers investigated the scene.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said the case had been closed due to “insufficient evidence”.

0 comments

More news stories

Yesterday, 19:31

Local radio presenter and broadcaster Paul Stainton is quitting the mid morning show and leaving BBC Radio Cambridgeshire to concentrate on his media and communications company.

50 minutes ago

Complaints about police in Cambridgeshire have risen by four per cent according to a report that says it is a postcode lottery on how they are handled.

Yesterday, 15:09

Friends of a “truly amazing, inspiring” young mum living in Wisbech St Mary with “extremely aggressive” facial cancer have raised nearly £3,000 so she can “make ever-lasting memories” with her daughter.

Yesterday, 14:58

A Sunday league football match was held up after a snake slithered onto the pitch.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Wisbech Standard e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter